The Harris County Jail is operated by the Harris County Sheriff’s Office, founded in 1837. It is the largest sheriff’s office in Texas and the third largest in the United States. There are over 4,000 employees in the Harris County Sheriff’s Office, which are committed to the safety of the nearly 4 million residents who call Harris County home.
All inmates in the Harris County Jail are medically screened at the Inmate Processing Center (IPC) before being housed. Inmates requiring immediate medical care are sent to be evaluated by the on duty physician or they are sent to the hospital. The screening nurse will also inquire concerning all prescription medications.
Is a Harris County Jail inmate allowed to get commissary?
Yes. The commissary stocks and sells a variety of items for inmate consumption. Each cellblock has a designated schedule for commissary delivery. An inmate is allowed to spend $150 once a week on commissary.
How can I visit an inmate in the Harris County Jail?
Harris County Jail Visitation Schedule
• Monday – NO VISITS
• Tuesday – 4 – 9 p.m.
• Wednesday – 4 – 9 p.m.
• Thursday – NO VISITS
• Friday – NO VISITS
• Saturday – 3:30 – 9 p.m.
• Sunday – 3:30 – 9 p.m.
Visiting an inmate begins by entering the main lobby of the jail the inmate is housed in:
• 1200 Baker Street (713) 755-7484
• 1307 Baker Street (713) 755- 2400
• 701 N. San Jacinto Street (713) 755-8430
• 711 N. San Jacinto Street (713) 755-8430
How does an inmate make a phone call from the Harris County Jail?
Inmates at the Harris County Jail are not allowed to receive phone calls.
Inmates can place collect calls to phone numbers where collect calls are not restricted.
Advance Pay Calls:
Advance Pay accounts are set up by the party receiving the calls, allowing them to do so even if their phone number restricts collect calls. Here’s how it works:
• The party receiving the calls should contact Securus at 1-800-844-6591 to obtain instructions on how to establish an Advance Pay account.
• The inmate dials the phone number.
• The system determines if an Advance Pay account exists and if so, places the call.
• The receiving party must accept the call by following the automated instructions.
• The cost of the call is deducted from the Advance Pay account balance.
Jail Phone Call Rules:
• Calls may be recorded and/or monitored.
• Any attempt to call transfer or conference call will disconnect the call.
• Calls to some phone numbers may be restricted by the jail for security reasons
To prevent unauthorized inmate collect call charges to your phone bill, do not attempt to transfer any inmate call; do not attempt to conference call another number; do not call forward your phone. If you feel you have been a victim of fraudulent inmate collect call charges, contact your local telephone service provider. You can also contact Securus at 1-800-844-6591 to block any calls originating from the Harris County Jail to your phone.
Can I visit inmates housed outside of Harris County?
To visit inmates housed outside of Harris County, contact the appropriate housing facility for visitation date, times and procedures. The current out-of-county facilities being utilized by the HCSO are:
Newton County Correctional Facility
2402 East Court St
Newton, TX 75966
LaSalle Correction Center
15976 Hwy. 165
Olla, LA 71465
West Carroll Detention Center
180 Capital Bank Dr
Epps, LA 71237