The Walton County Department of Corrections operates under the authority of the Walton County Board of County Commissioners. The Walton County Board of County Commissioners assumed operation of the County Jail from the Sheriff’s Office on January 1, 2007. The Corrections Director is Major Stan Sunday who was appointed in 2010.
The Walton County Justice Facility is a 584 bed facility, which was constructed in 2007 and operations were moved there in April 2007 from the 101 bed facility located downtown. The Justice Facility consists of an Administration building, Video Visitation area, Central Booking, Medical Housing Unit, Food Services section, Laundry Services section and two inmate housing pods; Pod 1 has 316 beds and Pod 2 has 268 beds.
The Department consists of three divisions each of which is commanded by a Lieutenant; the Security Division, the Support Division and the Professional Standards Division. The Security Division is responsible for the operations, booking and housing of the inmate population. The Support Division is responsible medical services, court services, food service, transportation, classification and inmate programs. The Professional Standards Division is responsible for internal affairs investigations, background investigations, training, accreditation and policy development.
The Walton County Department of Corrections became accredited by the Florida Corrections Accreditation Commission on February 2, 2010 and reaccredited on February 19, 2013.
Walton County Jail Related Files
Florida Walton County Jail Inmate Handbook 2012
This handbook is provided to help answer questions inmates may have during confinement in the Walton County jail system. Adopted on February 14, 2012.
How to visit an inmate?
- Inmates with a last name beginning with A – M will have visitation on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from 8:00 am – 11:00 am and 12:00 pm – 4:00 pm.
- Inmates with a last name beginning N – Z will have visitation on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays from 8:00 am – 11:00 am and 12:00 pm – 4:00 pm.
- Trustees will have visitation on Sundays from 8:00 am – 11:00 am and 12:00 pm – 4:00 pm.
- Visitors must have a valid picture ID
- One visit per day per visitor
- Each inmate is allowed up to three hours of visitation per week
- No food or drink in the Visitation Room
- No purses or other items are allowed in the Visitation Room
- Only one child per visitor will be allowed into the Visitation Room at a time
- Ex-inmates of the Walton County Department of Corrections must wait 60 days after they are released before they may visit an inmate