The mission of the Montgomery City Jail (Police Department Municipal Jail) is to protect the public from criminal offenders through a system of incarceration and supervision which securely segregates offenders from society, assures offenders of their constitutional rights and maintains programs to enhance the success of offenders’ re-entry into society.
The goals of the Montgomery Police Department Municipal Jail is to continually find ways and means to develop the jail as a progressive social institution, sensitive to both the communities’ needs and the needs of the individual offender, through:
- The proactive safekeeping and care of prisoners; ensuring safe, humane and clean environment.
- The prevention of escapes; ensuring public safety, and
- The development and implementation of correctional programs sensitive to the individual rehabilitation; designed to encourage productive re-entry to the community.
How to send mail to an inmate?
The mailing address for inmates is P.O. Box-Drawer 159, Montgomery, Al 36101. Packages are not accepted in the mail. However, money orders from the U.S. Postal Service are accepted through the mail in the inmate’s name.
How to visit an inmate?
Montgomery City Jail Visiting Days and Times for Inmates
- Federal Inmates and City Prisoners (Inmates with court dates): Saturday 7:30 a.m. – 11:00 a.m. & 12:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Convicts (City Inmates serving time): Sundays 7:30 a.m. – 11:00 a.m. & 12:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.
- Female Inmates: Sundays 3:00 p.m.- 5:00 p.m.
A visitor must be placed on the visiting list by the inmate and present a valid photo I.D. prior to visiting. Cell phones and packages are not allowed in the jail.
Inmate Attorney Visitation Schedule
The below listed schedule will allow attorneys to visit their clients in the morning, allows additional time for evening visitations, and addresses weekend visitations.
- 1st Shift Hours 6:30 a.m. – 3:00 p.m., 7:00 a.m. – 10:30 a.m., 12:00 p.m. – 2:30 p.m., Exception: 10:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. Lunch
- 2nd Shift Hours 2:30 p.m. – 11:00 p.m., 3:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m., 5:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. (Sat & Sun), Exception: 2:30 – 3:00 p.m. Dinner
- Saturday & Sunday: 10:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m., 5:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.
Which programs for inmates are there in the Montgomery City Jail?
The Municipal Jail has a number of inmate programs to include:
- Job Prep Classes (Weekly)
- Inmate Community Improvement Details
- Exercise Periods (Daily)
- Life Skills Classes (Weekly)
- Family Focus (3 Times Weekly)
- G.E.D Classes (Twice Weekly)
- Drug Rehab Classes (Weekly)
- Public Speakers (As scheduled)
The Montgomery Municipal Jail is committed to making a major impact on the community by equipping every inmate with the necessary tools to re-enter society.
Nondenominational religious services are conducted by local ministers and volunteers. The jail also has a Hispanic ministry as well.